Sunday, September 6, 2009
Dia de la Independencia
Oaxaca is getting ready for Independence Day, and we know it from the street vendors on every corner. There have been so many revolutions here that I wasn't even sure which revolution this particular Independence Day celebrated, but the neon "1810" sign on the zocalo gives a hint.
July 4th was the day we left Atlanta for Mexico, so it seems appropriate that we get to celebrate it again so soon with the Mexicans on...September 16th. In the meantime, our smaller town of San Felipe del Agua is spending 10 days celebrating the birth of the Virgin, and Harper and I just returned (at 10:30 p.m. on a school night!) from a procession replete with brass band, massive puppet figures, fresh flower baskets carried aloft, and handmade firework towers shooting sparks from the dancers' heads. To his credit Harper told me when he was getting too sleepy to follow along, but now at 11:15 p.m. I can still hear the band going strong and the parade appears to be headed up our very own slope this instant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment