We have been spending a lot of time in cemeteries lately (and bear with me, some amazing photos are definitely forthcoming). Now that all the hullabaloo is over, I have really enjoyed wandering through the empty rows of tombs still covered in brilliant orange marigolds and purplish red cockscombs. While the boys were at a music lesson yesterday, Amelia and I explored "El Panteon Jardin," a famous cemetery where empty food stalls and carnival rides, including a vacant tilt-a-whirl, still stood waiting for their packing crews.
It was nearly sunset, with a clear blue sky darkening overhead, and I finally had enough time to point out some of the smaller details we'd overlooked when the crowds were filling every aisle. A sealed bottle of Bohemia capped one tombstone; "He must have liked beer," I said. On another, we discovered a coke bottle whose contents were partially emptied over a saint's statuette. "He must have liked Coke." Amelia examined two slices of pan de muertos, an apple, and a sliced banana buzzing with fruit flies; "I think she likeded snacks," said my daughter.
"He liked coffee and I think this person liked beer, too." "Hey Mama, she likeded cigarettes, YUCK." "And Mimi, look, I think this lady liked saints, because of all the statues her family put here." We took turns finding the tiny trinkets and speculating about all the different kinds of treats enjoyed by family and friends alike. Finally nearing the cemetery gates, we encountered a pile of neatly-gathered detritus; flower stems, chunks of styrofoam, empty potato chip bags and soft drink bottles stretching across the stony path.
"Mama, look," Amelia said to me excitedly, pointing at the pile, "I think that person likeded trash!"
Friday, November 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment