Cultural immersion definitely comes in stages. You're thrilled to arrive, everyone races all over the house, opening closets, discovering new bedrooms, and then--cucarachas. Or too many ants in the kitchen.
We've been in Oaxaca since Friday and Art has been back at work since yesterday. "Back at work" in this case means logging on to his Kilpatrick Stockton account from the upstairs bedroom and earning the income that's allowing us to be here. I've given us (myself, essentially) this first week to be unscheduled and unstructured, aiming to enroll the boys in some sort of Spanish camp by next week. We've only found private lessons that can accomodate Amelia thus far, and I don't think that's what she really needs, so for her we'll keep our options open.
You have to be satisfied with small accomplishments. Yesterday we made it in the car to an adjacent neighborhood, found the Domino's pizza place, circled many city blocks, finally claimed a parking space and even discovered a bank with ATMs along the way. Ate cheese pizza and "cheesy bread" for lunch; "cheesy bread," in Spanish, translating to "cheesy bread," I'm pleased to report. Found a copy center. Joined the English language library and enabled children to check out many books. Quiet time at home, followed by a short hike in the nearby forest preserve with Art, who was definitely eager to get out of the house after a day in the upstairs bedroom. Dinner of chorizo and eggs on the patio, with Amelia for once eating all of her vegetables before the boys did. Gorgeous views of the mountains all around. Totally, completely sapped.
So this morning I've allowed the kids to play Wii and watch Cosby much later than I'd planned, but it's given me time to read the New York Times and update the blog. I'm thinking success today will include calling the cleaning lady, Amelia (!), to set up an appointment, and possibly running to Sears (Sears!) in search of a fruit juicer and ice cream freezer. Stay tuned.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment