Friday, October 16, 2009

Three amazing kids

I am so proud of my three little kiddos for sticking with school with a good attitude. Harper was upset the other day because he thinks he just learned about a project that was due the next day only he just figured out he needed to do it and all the other kids had a month to complete it. I explained, a little too glibly, that it would be fine, because his Mom and I were proud of him anyway and he was doing such a great job just to be completing most of his homework in Spanish, etc. etc.

He looked up at me with tears in his eyes and said "But Dad, you don't have to sit in the classroom for 6 hours being the only one who did not complete the assignment."

And it is true. I work 8-10 hours a day and interact in English with people I have been working with for years. Day in and day out, the children are faced with how different their lives have become.

Don't get me wrong, not all is bad. Harper is also the champion tag-ball player in his class. Amelia has made two new best friends who speak little English. And Crispin has a passel of American kids his age to help him get by. But it amazing. More and more these days someone will say something to me, and damned if I can understand it, and my kids understand immediately. Even Amelia translates for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment